Although Spring is right around the corner and the sun is shining here in the Northwest, comfort food never goes out of season. My boyfriend Casey’s favorite dinner is my meatloaf. It’s super quick and easy to make — and lots of fun. Get your hands in there and get dirty when you mix it up! There’s no better way to get in touch with your food than to squish it through your fingers.
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix (one-third each of lean ground beef, ground veal and ground pork)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (or if you like more texture like I do, medium chop)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (or a little more if it is too wet and is not binding properly)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with a nonstick Silpat lining or parchment paper.
Whisk together glaze in a small bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all of the meatloaf ingredients and mix well. Use your hands and get in there. Only mix until combined, otherwise meatloaf will be tough. Form meatloaf on the lined sheet pan into a rectangular shape, about 4 or 5 inches by 12 inches.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with glaze mixture.
Bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 to 7 minutes. Slice the meatloaf to your desired thickness.
The leftovers make great meatloaf sandwiches! Enjoy!